The Speciale Traditional System
for the extraction of juice and essential oil from citrus fruit
The Speciale Traditional System is based on the citrus fruit rasping process. This type of production, which requires no preventive grading of the citrus fruit, is common throughout Italy, in many Mediterranean countries and also in Latin America. The fruit, taken from the silos by conveyor belt, reach a tank full of water to undergo a basic washing, after which they are withdrawn by means of a cup elevator. Then, they are carried along another belt until they reach the hopper of DS model the essential oil extractor, also known as the « Pelatrice ». .
Up to today, this machine has been considered as the best for the extraction of essential oil from citrus fruit: for example, over 80% of bergamot essential oil producers use our Model DS « Pelatrice ». The fruit travels under water jets which perform the epidermis abrasion. This works thanks to a rasping system, which is put into motion by the rotating rollers and the screw conveyor with the grater holes. The rasping process produces the essential oil out of ground detritus which make up the thus known “grating”.
The essence together with the « grating » is removed via a continuous flow of water. The rasping is a process, which is mainly used for the production of lemon, orange, bergamot, and mandarin orange essences. The water enriched with essential oil falls into the underlying filter-press Model FS80 , FS80 which filters and eliminates the solid deposits after having squeezed them in the purpose-built continuous press with its two integrated propellers. Then, the filtered mixture moves towards the centrifuge by means of a pump and along a feeding reservoir to discharge the solid deposits. This is where the mixture of 50% of essential oil and water is separated. The water goes into a three –compartment decantation tank and then through the « recirculation » pump, returns to the « Pelatrice » where the cycle begins again. The mixture rich with essential oil goes into the centrifuge, which separates the essential oil and residual water for good.
The fruit, deprived of oil and peel yet still whole leave the « Pelatrice » and slip into the Model RS Roller-extractorextractor where they are sliced in half and squeezed by rollers rotating anti-clockwise against a fixed sheet whose position can be adjusted (this is to vary the pressure on the fruit depending on its type, degree of ripeness and peel thickness, whilst the fruit size is not important). The peels come out and are carried by a screw conveyor are usually pressed again in a Single-Propeller Continuous Press Model PMS to recover the second extraction residual juice. This press can be mounted directly under the juice extractor.
The juice is collected in a tank and is carried through a « mono » pump to a Model RS Refiner which eliminates the thickest parts of the pulp and after through another pump and the feeder tank enters into a centrifugal clarifier which reduces the pulp at the requested Percentage. The juice is ready to be pasteurised and concentrated.
Essential oil produced by our Speciale traditional system
The essential oil produced by our traditional extraction system has a higher yield than that of other systems currently on the market
Consequently, when the production of essential oil is top priority over other citrus transformation by-products, our grating system is, by far, the most suitable. This is further reinforced by the fact that bergamot oil producers almost exclusively use our « Pelatrici » raspers to produce one of the most precious of essential oils, bergamot oil.
The yield of essential oil varies depending on the type of fruit, which is to be worked. Lemon yield varies between 650 grams per quintal at the beginning of the season to 400 grams per quintal towards the end of the season. Yield from other types of citrus, such as mandarins and bergamots is higher whereas sweet or bitter oranges have a lower yield.
Juice produced by our Special Traditional System
Both quality and quantity of the juice produced using this system vary according to the pressure of the pressing which depends on the adjustment of the distance between the perforated metal sheet and the anti-clockwise rollers in the RS extractor. The juice produced is of a different type from that produced by the in-line extractors as it is richer in pulp; it can be refined later for depulping using our PR20 Citrus Fruit refiner. Pulp content can be reduced by 15%-22% just by using this process.
However when it comes to collecting juice from a second extraction using our RS roller extractors , extractors we’d like to point out again that the juice should be worked using the single-propeller PMS pressing unit..
Advantages of the Speciale Traditional System
- The fruit is worked in no particular order of shape or size. Consequently it is not necessary to carry out brushing and grading or to inspect the fruit beforehand.
- Essential oil yield is at the maximum possible, due to the extractor’s special construction and functioning features which treat fruit uniformly regardless of their size (even very small )or their shape, however irregular. Reject fruits are automatically eliminated by the machine.
- Juice yield and quality is superior to that of other traditional machines. The content of essential oil in the juice is highly insignificant.
- Installation is continuous and automatic because it doesn’t require manpower except for the technician who supervises the centrifuge and what is necessary for other secondary functions.
- Without any modification, the same installation can treat oranges, lemons, mandarin oranges, grapefruits and limes. All you need to do is to make an adjustment.
- Congestion on the whole line is relatively reduced. As a result we gain space and raise production capacity.
- Made out of stainless steel for all parts which have direct contact with the fruit, our machines are really robust. Maintenance is simple and easy. Washing is automatic.